Thursday, April 24, 2014

Reflective Post

Reflective Post
EME 2040

The beginning of this course, I was a bit nervous. I didn't know what to expect or if I was going to "get it", but I did get most of it. We began by introducing ourselves and adding a picture to kind of break the ice and allow for us to get to know each other in a small, but important way. Technology is scary to most of us because we don't know a whole lot about it.

The semester continued to add things to do, to help us learn about technology and how we can utilize this in a digital learning world. We began by creating our first Journal Post. We began with one and continued to add posts until we created eleven posts!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacificit/311187605/

Creating the Journal Posts helped me to better understand the chapter I read and implement what I learned in my VPK-K classroom. I used the SmartBoard in my classroom, but I learned more about utilizing it in my current classroom. I learned about different educational games that the children could play and learn. The SmartBoard is just one of several things that I have learned in this course.

SmartBoard

We had five different discussions and the one that stands out the most is the one about Cyberbullying. Bullying is not just in person like it used to be, it is now on the internet. There isn't anyway to keep these bullies from cyberbullying other people anonymously. There is help out there for students that are bullied via the internet. Being bullied makes kids feel depressed, unloved, worthless, and suicidal. This link can give you ideas of how to deal with a bully.

Dealing with Cyberbullying

I enjoyed the discussion by giving my fellow classmates my opinion on their post and giving them any ideas to help each other grow in learning more about the discussion. I also felt that by me posting my discussion on a thread for my classmates to read, it helped me to read their ideas or concerns about my ideas.

Evaluating and critiquing a website was a little challenging, but very useful. By evaluating and critiquing a website, I was able to see what a good website should look like. It also helped me to see what information was good or if it wasn't useful. This would help me if I wanted to create a website for others to learn something I want to share with the world. It is amazing how you don't realize what a good website should look like. I am sharing a video that will help you to create a website. This is just the basics, but you can personalize it the way you want.



We added a rubric to the evaluation and critiquing of a website. This was my first Rubric and it was so challenging, but I got through it. It was painful only because I didn't have the experience of creating one before. Now, I can create a Rubric without feeling scared. I can utilize it where the students can use it to help them with a project. This will help them set a goal to get the highest score possible, because they can see the rubric right in front of them.

Creating a PowerPoint in this class was good, I would think how in the world could I possibly use this to help my future students? As I created it, I learned how to record my voice which I have never done before. It was pretty cool. I would utilize this to help my visual and auditory learners plus it could also help my future ELL students. I can create it to help them by placing pictures and words that describe the picture plus I could have it recorded so they can hear it over and over again if needed. This could be created and the students could use it at their own computer in class.

The WebQuest was fun creating. I enjoyed it because I have knowledge on how to help my future students to have them work on their own by following directions. This is something that I have never heard of before. I talk to other teachers about it and they haven't heard about it and they want me to show them what it is and how to create on. This also helps the students be independent and be responsible for their own work.

The Wiki collaboration was something that I hope in the future to enjoy. This was something that I really didn't get to learn a lot about. It was again something I really didn't know a whole lot about. I do want to learn on how to create one and not feel so afraid of it.

Collaborated lesson plan, was an okay experience. It is difficult to work with other students when everyone wanted to communicate in a different way. For instance, one wanted to be emailed and the other one wanted to be texted. We finally were able to create a lesson plan. I have created a lesson plan for several years, but I have learned a few things taking this course. I learned more about the Florida Standards and the Common Core Standards. I also learned more about the NETS-S and NETS-T standards. I plan to utilize this in my future lesson plans especially now that I know how important it is to include them in my lesson plans. My future students will be learning technology and I will know what they are learning and I will keep track of what they will learn next.

I created a Delicious account that I know will help me to keep all the websites that are important to me in one place. It will also help me to manage my time and not needing to keep searching for websites when I have located the best ones that I need or want.

The e-portfolio was something I thought, hmmm, I don't really don't think I know why I need to do this, but while I was creating it, it was interesting to me. I think that this was my favorite project out of all of them. It really helps you to create something for the teacher, the parents, and the students. This culd help my future students to be more intrigued and play educational games too. This is a great place to have all the information that the parents and students need to keep in touch with the information that the teacher wants them to know.

Overall, I really enjoyed this classroom, it was a challenge on a couple of assignments, but it was worth every minute of it. I have learned so much and I have so much more to learn. I am happy to know that the few things that I did learn to do, I can use to teach my future students. All that I have learned will help me manage my time better, be more creative, intrigue my future students, and help me a better teacher. I will close this with my mom and my favorite quote, "Look with your heart and not your eyes."

References:

Maloy, R. W. (2011). Transforming learning with new technologies. Boston: Pearson/Allyn and Bacon.




No comments:

Post a Comment